Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Buena BUENA Onda

holaaaa. Okay so I know I´ve been getting worse and worse at this blog update thing and I´m sorry but life is really wonderful so at the same time I´m not. One of my bestest bestest buddies, Jessie, spontaneously bought a ticket to come from Cape Town to Buenos Aires to visit me.
There is no way to describe to someone who´s never lived in a foreign country by themselves how lonely it gets, how beautiful it is to have a chosen sister from a ¨former life¨to share things with.

She arrived at the Ezeiza airport on Sunday at 1pm. I brought her to the San Telmo fair, introduced to her the magic of choripan, a chorizo (sausage) sandwich, and we watched couples dance tango in the square.
On Monday I introduced her to my friends Mosqui and Pablo, and we went to the Recoleta park and drank beer while takin some sun and listening to Mosqui play bagpipes. Jessie and I got a coffee after, went back to Cabellito to nap, then returned to Recoleta at about 1030 that evening. Mosqui and Pablo had prepared us an INCREDIBLE dinner as always, which we followed by wine and dancing to Brazilian music in the apartment. We all fell asleep while watching this surreal animation film called ¨Paprika,¨which we set to have audio in English and subtitles in Spanish. The next morning Jessie and I bought fruit from local venders and made a delicious salad of apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, grapes, strawberries, and plums. From there the girls and boys split ways, and I showed her the peculiar Recoleta cemetary. We went then to El Museo Xul Solar, an art museum dedicated to this one artist, whose style would be better understood through google than my words. From there, we went to Palermo, where I met one of my professors from this past semester to talk about Argentina while Jessie wrote in the Botanic Gardens across the street. After about 2 hours of cultural chatting, Jessie came and joined us, and the two of them discussed the whore'dom of madonna. It was a beautiful moment. Jessie and I returned HOME, relaxed a bit, and then I prepared a dinner of squash with spinach, yellow peppers, onion, garlic, and parsley, while I gave Spanish lessions to her. We left at about 1030 to search for this one bar in Almagro with Tango singing.
I´m not going to go into all the magic we found there, but say simply, Jessie was so moved by the singing even without understanding what it meant that she burst into tears afterwards. It was beautiful.
We returned to my apartment and climbed up on the roof, where we listened to Madeline Peyroux, drank wine, and ended up falling asleep until it began to rain and we went running back inside.
Anyways, this is just a little flavor of what we´ve been up to lately. Right now she´s on the phone with her mom and I´m drinking mate and relaxing before I have to leave for work at 6.

Sending much love back to the states.
Besos,
Meli

No comments:

Post a Comment