Monday, October 25, 2010

Los Domingos en San Telmo

In all seriousness I ask,
Where AM I right now?
This past week has been a blur of wonderful. I'm so overwhelmed and happy and exhausted....
life feels like a series of ellipses....
My sleep schedule is ridiculous. I fell asleep at 8 last night and woke up at 6:15 this morning. Normally though it's consisted of me falling asleep at 4 or 5 in the morning.
By the way, I JUST started drinking coffee for the first time in my life, out of necessity.
Anyways, here are a few pictures from LAST Sunday. I'm trying to make it a ritual to go to San Telmo every Sunday for the street fair. It's overwhelming but wonderful at the same time.
(Yikes! I got SUCH a vicious bug bite this past weekend!)
Anyways, the first couple of pictures below are of a murga, I think it's called. It's a group of people who dance around with drums and such. I think there's a different one in every neighborhood. I saw one in Almargo about a month back and they were great. I think it's just a means of representing one's barrio, or neighborhood; a representation of one's culture.










One of the best parts about going to San Telmo on Sundays is I get to see my lovely Sara Bernal who goes to the U of Mn with me! Last Sunday, we hung out for several hours, then I walked down from San Telmo to El Centro and took a bus back home. It was beautiful walking back as the sun was setting, as vendors packed their merchandise back in cardboard boxes: many did so one-handed, using their other to hold a child, to rock them with a tired arm.

Love to everyone.
Besos y Abrazos.

1 comment: